Sunday, March 22, 2015

Lesson in self love through The Mindy Project and Yoga.



I was watching the Mindy Project this morning and I have to say, it was the best episode yet. Pretty much it was an episode about how Mindy is gaining weight due to her pregnancy and how its made her feel ugly and unloved by her boyfriend. She then seeks the help of a coworker who refers Mindy to her beautician cousin. The cousin asks Mindy to look in the mirror and tell her what she see’s. Mindy replies that the woman she see’s in the mirror is fat and ugly. The cousin ask’s Mindy if she would say that to her best friend. Mindy replied “no” of coarse. Who would say something so hurtful to their best friend?! The cousin states that that is exactly who you are, your own best friend.

Deep shit.
I think this approach is the key to discovering love and respect for oneself. When I hate on myself over my appearance, or anything else, I am in fact disrespecting myself and not showing myself love, respect, kindness, or compassion. I started doing yoga a few months ago and one lesson I have learned is that I can only do what my body is capable of, and I have to accept and embrace myself for it with the knowledge that, with patience, I will be able to accomplish the poses I want to.
We all need to start treating ourselves like we are our own best friend, and we need to show ourselves respect. This is the beginning to the long road to truly loving ourselves. With patience and compassion towards ourselves, we will accomplish our goal.